August 30, 2011

Irene, why so mean?

Well, we survived our first hurricane.  Ritch barely made it home from the West Coast before the storm started and I am SO HAPPY he was here with us.
This is a photo of our street the morning after:


Not so bad, right?  Considering how much wind and rain we were dealt we were REALLY lucky to come out the other side of this storm with only a few tree branches down.  Our house is surrounded by GIGANTIC 100 year old trees and I was petrified all night long that one was going to fall on our house.  A car...I can deal with that.  But if one of those trees fell on our house it could have been deadly.  I spent the entire night with my baby in my arms checking out the windows for any sign of a tree about to topple and listening for crashing.  We stayed in the living room all night thinking the main floor would be safer than the top floor if a tree decided to go through the roof. 
We took a walk on Sunday after the wind calmed down in the afternoon and we saw a lot of trees split in half or ripped out by the roots.  A few light poles snapped in half as well.




I just received an email from the city that 60,000 people in our area are still without power.  I don't know how we got so lucky but I am so grateful that everybody is safe, we have water and power and we don't even have to file any insurance claims!  I know a lot of people are still suffering the aftermath of this storm and my heart goes out to them.
So....an earthquake and a hurricane in the SAME WEEK??  Hopeful that this week is a bit more uneventful.
Love,
Chels

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...