December 17, 2010

Oh No ~ Sideways Baby??!!!

We found out last week that our little mister is laying sideways.  This is not great news.  Apparently this happens in only 1 out of 2500 pregnancies and can be more problematic than a breech baby because your uterus forms around the baby in that position, making it difficult for the baby to turn.



We have been trying some wacky things to help the little guy out.  I found a website called spinning babies that has all kinds of suggestions.  So far we've tried:
1) Inversions off the couch ~ this entails kneeling on the side of the couch and hanging upside down while supporting myself with my forearms for a couple minutes a few times a day.
2) Acupuncture.  Before 34 weeks they suggest something called "moxabustion" which involves burning a moxa stick (like a big incense stick) by a certain acupuncture point on my little toe.  10 mins a day for 10 days.  If that doesn't work we move on to needling the toe point next week.
3) Peas and carrots.  Place a bag of frozen veggies or ice pack above the baby's head and put a heating pad on the lower on the pelvis where you want the baby to move.  The baby doesn't like the cold so he moves toward the heat.
4) Music and light.  Play music and shine a light low on the abdomen to entice the little guy to move downward.
5) Chiropractic.  I had a consult and an exam with a chiropractor this week.  There is a special technique called the "Webster Technique" that adjusts the pelvis and is supposedly effective in helping the baby turn.  My first treatment is next week.
6) If none of these things work we move on to having a doctor manually turn the baby from the outside using ultrasound as a guide.  Apparently this is pretty uncomfortable and doesn't come without it's risks.  We'll look more closely at this technique if we have to.
7) If NONE of these work, I have to have a c-section.  My midwife told me they don't even let you go into labor naturally if the baby is still in this position because it's too risky.  I don't even want to talk about this option yet.  I am hopeful that he WILL turn around so we don't have to go this route.
So far he is pretty comfortable where he is and hasn't budged an inch.  I can feel his hard round little head right under my ribs on the right side and he keeps kicking me straight down.  He also really loves to sit/kick/punch the nerves in my hips sending shooting pains through my body all day long.  
PLEASE MOVE LITTLE GUY, PLEASE!!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...