March 1, 2011

What's in a name?

Choosing a name for your baby is one of the most challenging and important decisions you will make for your child before they are born.  If you are indecisive, like I am, it's almost impossible.  I can hardly decide what I want for lunch, let alone decide on a name, for a person, that sounds nice, has sentimental  meaning, doesn't rhyme with anything mean that will get them teased on the playground, isn't too plain, isn't too weird, looks good on a resume, sounds cute when they're a baby and overall will carry your child through life, every single day, for their entire existence.  It's a tough job.

It was important to us to choose a name for our son that was strong, unique but not too odd, significant to his heritage and most importantly, a name that we loved and hoped that he would love as well.

Our boy, Duke Leavitt Graham, is named after these two great men:


photo via


(Photo via


photo via

Duke Kahanamoku was a famous Hawaiian waterman and surfer and is most famous for helping to popularize surfing as a sport in the 20's.  We were led to this name for many reasons....most importantly because it represents Ritch's Hawaiian heritage on his father's side, as well as his longtime love of surfing.  We were also interested in a name connected to Hawaii because Duke was a very happy surprise we brought back with us from a trip to Hawaii last May.  We explored the option of traditional Hawaiian names, but they just didn't seem to fit and seemed like an odd choice since neither one of us has ever lived in Hawaii.  Duke was a good strong unique name and we both loved it.  Neither one of us had ever met another Duke so we had no other associations with the name.  We also knew he would be an Aquarius (our little water baby) so it seemed fitting to choose a name connected to water.  Of course there is also the more famous "The Duke"....which brings us to this man:






This is Louis Truman Leavitt, my maternal grandfather.  He was a tall, lanky, motorcycle riding, cowboy boot loving man who everybody said looked like John Wayne, aka, "The Duke".  His life was cut much too short at the age of 42.  He had three beautiful daughters, none of which would be able to carry on the name of Leavitt.  It was important to me to carry on this name in our son.  How I wish I could have met him.  How I wish he could have met Duke Leavitt.  I think he would be a proud Great Grandpa.

So this is the story of Duke Leavitt Graham.  We love his name and we hope he loves it too.  If he ever is lucky enough to have a sister we already have her name picked out, and I love it just as much (you know, just in case Duke was a girl).

Love,
Chelsea

2 comments:

  1. Chelsea - what an incredible pairing for Duke's name. He's certain to do great things!

    Love,
    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must be really smart because that is why I thought you came up with your son's name. Somehow to connect both your heritage and also to carry on my dad's name.

    I think about it alot because I am the only one who still uses my father's name, but it is all for the wrong reason. Divorce. I knew when I was gone my dad's name would be gone too.
    I am happy to know that Duke Leavitt Graham will carry on for my father and, of course, for Patti and Kathie's dad too. He was really a wonderful dad and all his grandchildren are missing a lot for never knowing him. Thanks Chelsea and thanks Ritch.....bee

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...